Academic Advising

Spring and Summer 2022 registration opens on Monday, November 1, 2021

  • Fall 2021 registration ends on Friday, August 20.

Academic advising is an interactive process involving the student and his/her academic advisor. Each term prior to registration, it is the student's responsibility to meet with his/her academic advisor to discuss courses for the upcoming semester. The academic advisor serves as a valuable information resource to the student in the areas of program requirements, college graduation requirements, and transfer coursework.

All students should meet with or speak to an academic advisor prior to registering for classes. Please call the office at your location to schedule your appointment. For students who are unable to come to campus, an appointment over the phone or using a web camera over the Internet can be arranged. Galesburg: 309.341.5237 Carthage: 217.357.3129

How do I register for classes?

New students should follow the steps to enroll

Current students should make an appointment with their academic advisor for a registration appointment. For students who are taking online courses or are unable to travel to campus, registration can be done over the phone. Please call the location you are attending to make a face-to-face, virtual, or phone registration appointment.

Galesburg: 309.341.5237 Carthage: 217.357.3129

Dual credit students should contact their assigned dual credit coordinator for enrollment in dual credit courses. 

  • Linda Thomas (217.357.3129 x7243 or
    • Linda supports the following high schools: Abingdon-Avon High School, Bushnell-Prairie City High School, Hamilton High School, Illini West High School, Warsaw High School, West Central High School, West Prairie High School, and homeschooled students within these school districts.

  • Megan Jones (309.341.5229 or
    • Megan supports the following high schools: Farmington Central High School, Galesburg Christian School, Galesburg High School, Knoxville High School, Monmouth-Roseville High School, ROWVA Senior High School, Spoon River Valley High School, United High School, Williamsfield High School, and homeschooled students within these school districts.

Now that you're registered

Once a NEW student has registered for classes with their academic advisor, follow the next steps for newly enrolled students.

Once a CURRENT student has registered for classes with their academic advisor, follow the next steps for currently enrolled students. 


Meet our advising staff

How-To Videos

High School Counselor Training Videos

When can a student appeal?


At Carl Sandburg College, we help prepare students to transfer to a four-year college or university to earn their bachelor's degrees. We work with public and private universities. No matter where you want to go, our academic advisors can help you get there. Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) degree programs are specifically designed for students to transfer to a four-year college or university.

Career Technical Health Education Transfer Guide

Transfer School Guides and Equivalences

Transfer School Resources

Education Majors

Looking for an online school? Visit the Center for Online Education website to learn about online programs and search for schools.

The decision to continue your education is an important milestone; but what are you going to study? What career will work for you and your unique qualities? Don't panic, these are common concerns and help is available. It is better to declare yourself "undecided" than to jump into a course of study or career without exploring your true interests and motivation. College is a great opportunity to explore and channel your talent, enthusiasm, and abilities into a meaningful occupation. An academic advisor or counselor can help you with the decision-making process.

Visit with a counselor

Counselors are available by appointment to listen to your questions, assist you in identifying your skills, and to administer the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. This questionnaire consists of a series of multiple-choice questions that will reveal your preferences and personality traits. Your counselor will interpret your answers and compare your personality type to various career possibilities.

Visit our online options

Be ready to invest a little time and research in yourself - check out these career counseling websites.

  • Career Coach allows students to explore career programs and complete a career assessment. Career Coach provides accurate regional occupational data, offers an interest inventory, connects college programs with relevant employment opportunities, and matches military occupational codes with the civilian employment sector. 
  • Career Cruising offers a brief interest inventory to generate occupational options based on your interests. Call your academic advisor for the username and password.
  • The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) provides insight into occupational options and the potential decision-making issues related to choosing a career. The full-length MBTI questionnaire is available by appointment with a Student Services Counselor.
  • The Occupational Outlook Handbook is the government’s premier source of career guidance data for hundreds of occupations.  Projections for future employment needs are also available on this website.
  • Explore Health Careers This website, developed by The American Dental Education Association, provides current occupational information about a wide variety of careers in the health-care professions.
  • STEM jobs This website provides guidance and occupational information for students with an interest in a career in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. 
Visit with our faculty

Wondering what you can do with a history major? Ask your history instructor! The faculty at Carl Sandburg College is a great resource. They can answer your questions regarding a course of student and suggest transfer schools and graduate schools. If you are investigating a career program, our faculty can recommend local professionals and organizations to help with your research.

Consider a classroom option: PSY.152 Career and Life Planning

If you would like to enroll in a class and spend a significant amount of time making your career choice, consider enrolling in this class. This course is designed to assist the undecided student with the process of making a well-informed and insightful career decision. Personality assessments, interest inventories, and value assessments will be administered to generate insightful career options and to assist students as they clarify and coordinate their career and personal goals. Common decision making obstacles will also be explored. In addition, guided occupational research, individualized career counseling sessions, and academic-planning activities will be utilized to enable students to produce tangible career and academic plans upon completion of the course.



If you are an online learner and cannot come to campus, we can assist you in completing your steps to enroll by phone, email, or with a virtual appointment. Students attending Carl Sandburg College who complete the following steps to enroll are welcome to enroll in our open enrollment programs. Additional admissions requirements are applicable in our various limited enrollment programs and are indicated in the program pages on the website.

Follow the Steps to Enroll for all students.

Registering for classes

All Sandburg students must correspond with their assigned academic advisor to complete any registration transaction. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways including in-person, phone, or virtual appointments, as well as email correspondence through our Student Planner software.

Registration for the fall semester is open on the first Monday of April and concludes at the end of July with the first two weeks in August deemed as last-minute registration. Registration for winter, spring, and summer registration is open the first Monday of November ending before the college closes for winter break with the weeks in January prior to the start of the term deemed as last-minute registration. Please check the calendar for specific dates.

Registration for classes is an interactive process between you and your academic advisor. Your advisor will assist you in selecting the courses you need to complete your chosen program of study. If you receive financial aid, you will not be allowed to take classes outside of your program requirements and use financial aid to pay the tuition for these classes.

Our advising staff

Our advisors are available to online learners through in-person, phone, or virtual appointments as well as through email. Our advising staff also offer evening meetings by appointment.

Adding/Dropping courses

Adding a course to your schedule can be done with approval from your academic advisor. Approval can be granted either over the phone, in person, or through the Student Planner software. You may not add a course online without prior approval.

You can add a course to your schedule without permission from the instructor until the class has met for the first time. Once a class has met, however, you must get instructor permission to add the class.

Dropping a course cannot be done online. You must have approval from your academic advisor to drop a course and this can be granted either over the phone, in person, or in a virtual appointment. You do not need an instructor’s approval to drop a course. If you drop a course after the 100% refund period has passed, you will not receive any refund for the amount of your tuition and fees. If you drop all of your courses for a semester, you may be required to repay financial aid.

If you drop a class, it may affect your eligibility for financial aid so it’s always better to speak with an advisor early if you begin to have problems with a class. Do not wait until you have missed too much in the class because then your options are extremely limited.

Can my instructor drop me from my class?

Yes. If you are not routinely logging in to your online class or doing the work, your instructor can drop you at midterm. However, do not assume the instructor will drop you if you are not going to complete the course. If you need to drop a class, you must contact your advisor and officially withdraw from the course.

Transferring to another college or university

Your academic advisor can assist you in exploring your options for transferring to a college or university. Please follow this link to explore the articulation guides with other Illinois colleges and universities.

How do you stay connected?

Sandburg sends out all student communication through e-mail located on the mySandburg portal. Students can also keep up to date with activities on campus through our social media.



What is the difference between advising and registration?

Academic advising is available throughout the year and is a time for planning how best to achieve your academic goal, including how to overcome any obstacles that have the potential to interfere with the goal.

Here are some topics you might discuss at an advising appointment:

  • Career planning
  • College transfer process
  • Transfer program expectations
  • Academic plan for Sandburg program
  • Transfer college selection process
  • Study habits and time management
  • Employment, child care, and other outside obligations that impede study time
  • Individual needs and expectations
  • Personal issues

Registration is when students enroll for the classes that have been planned at the advising appointment. Typically, there is not enough time during a registration appointment for in-depth academic advising. 

Here are issues you might discuss at a registration appointment:

  • Any new life changes that could interfere with your academic plan
  • Your class schedule for next semester
  • Work schedule and times available
  • Your class load ‐‐ how many classes a semester can you successfully manage
  • Required classes remaining for your degree or certificate
  • Electives you wish to take
  • Your goal date for graduation and progress toward completing your degree or certificate
Student responsibilities

Advising and registration is a shared responsibility between the advisor and the student. You will get more out of the advising appointment when you come prepared and understand your responsibilities.

  • You need to be an active participant in your educational journey.
  • Understand the requirements of your chosen degree or certificate.
  • Understand the policies and procedures of Carl Sandburg College.
  • If you are a transfer student, understand the requirements of your transfer degree. Your Sandburg advisor can assist you in looking into this, but understand that Sandburg advisors are not advisors for other colleges and universities. They will not be able to advise you on the requirements of another school.
  • Have an idea of what classes you plan to take when you come to the registration appointment. Class schedules are available prior to each semester’s registration period and can be found under the “class schedule” on the Sandburg home page.
  • If you don’t understand, ask questions.
  • Ultimately, students have the final say in the decision-making process. Come prepared to discuss your options and understand the advisor is there to assist you, but not to make decisions for you.
How do I add a class?

You can add a course to your schedule without permission from the instructor until the class has met for the first time. Once a class has met, however, you must get instructor permission to add the class.

Speak with your advisor to make sure the class meets your degree requirements. If it does and you want to add the class, work with your advisor to follow the procedures for adding a class.

How do I contact my instructors?

Communication with your instructors is critical to your academic success. When should you contact your instructors?

  • When you have a course-related question (i.e. how an assignment should be completed, when an assignment is due, or a course concept you don’t understand).  First, try to find the answer in your syllabus, your textbook, a classmate, or the Tutoring Center.  If you can’t find the answer you need, contact your instructor.
  • When an issue arises that your instructor should be aware of (i.e. a day that you will need to miss class, a technology issue that prevents you from submitting an assignment, an issue that is impeding your success in the class) you should contact your instructor as soon as possible.

There are a number of ways to contact your instructor:

  • Ask to talk to them before or after class. 
  • Ask to set up an appointment in their office.
  • Email or call your instructor. You can find your instructor’s contact information on the course syllabus.
What if my class is not going well?
  • Don’t give up!
  • Stop by the Tutoring Center located in B72. Tutors are available on a drop-in basis or by appointment for a variety of subjects regardless of your grade. 
  • Contact your instructor and ask for assistance. Find out what else you can do to better understand the material and course assignments.
  • Talk to your advisor. In some cases, it may be best to drop the course but there are important deadlines, degree requirements, and financial aid implications that you will need to discuss with your advisor before you make this decision. Your advisor may also help you locate other resources to help you succeed in the class. To make an appointment, contact the Student Services Office at 309-341-5237. TRIO SSS students should contact the TRIO Office at 309-341-5362.
  • Don’t stop attending class! If you do not officially withdraw from the course, you will receive an F on your transcript. This impacts your GPA and could impact your financial aid.
Can my instructor drop me from my class?
Yes. If you are not routinely attending your class or doing the work, your instructor can drop you at midterm. However, do not assume the instructor will drop you if you are not attending the course. If you need to drop a class, you must contact your advisor and officially withdraw from the course.
How do I drop a class?

You must contact your academic advisor either by making an appointment, calling, or emailing them. Students cannot drop a course online.

Galesburg advising office 309.341.5237   

Advising appointments are available in Galesburg, Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM during the fall and spring semesters. Sandburg observes summer office hours during the summer semester, Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM.

Carthage advising office 217.357.3129 ext. 7243

In Carthage, appointments are available Monday - Friday 8 AM - 5 PM, or in the evenings by appointment only. Sandburg observes summer office hours during the summer semester, Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM.

How do I check my grades?

Sandburg does not mail a copy of your grades after the semester is completed. You must go online to check your grades.

Log in to mySandburg and click on the My Classes link under the Self-Service tab. Then click on “view my grades/transcript.”

How do I order transcripts?

If you need an official copy of your transcript, you may request one through the admissions & records office. Visit our request a transcript page for directions.

Contact Us

Student Services
Located: Main Campus, E100
Phone: 309.341.5237